Most websites have self-serving "frequently asked questions" (FAQ's) sections that don't really answer questions of actual readers, but serve instead to advance the interests and image of the owners.
That's my goal here.
1. What do you do for a living? It changes from year to year, but usually something involving teaching and research, not quite in the academic world and a half-step out of the business world.
2. Are you qualified to do that? I am neither pedantic enough for the university, nor disciplined enough for business, so I think the answer is "yes."
3. What's your background? I have a B.A. in political science from the University of North Carolina, and a Ph.D. in political science from the University of Michigan.
4. Okay, Smarty-Pants, so what's the big idea of starting your own web page? Because I believe that we can all aspire to be better human beings, and make a difference on this crazy planet.
Just kidding. Shoot me if I ever start to talk like that. Actually, I just have lots of opinions, and figured this was a good place to keep them. Plus I can't tell you how often I get into a conversation with someone who says, "Tony, you are one smart guy. How can I learn more from you without wasting your valuable time in a one-on-one conversation?" A website is the perfect solution.
5. I like the cut of your jib. How can I reward you financially? Well, since you asked:
6. Do you have children? I have a daughter, Caroline Elizabeth, and four sons, Stephen Caleb, Timothy Eli, William Isaac, and Isaiah John.